Quinze ans… pas moi?!

For a few years now my sister and I have been hearing Taylor Swift’s song “Fifteen” from her album Fearless on the radio; it’s catchy and interesting to listen to. Who would have thought that the day would have ever come where I would be the age in the song?

It’s your freshman year and you’re gonna be here…. well, not quite. I’m going into my sophomore year of high school. But the point of this post is to comment on the complete and utter strangeness of growing up. Just a few years ago fifteen seemed so old- an unattainable and unimaginable fabulous age. I’ve been fifteen for over a week now and I don’t feel any different- no older, no more mature. When I was ten and eleven it seemed like being a teenager would never come, let alone fifteen years old. It’s strange at how fast- and yet how slow- time has gone by. Next August I’ll hopefully be getting my permit. One of my closest friends (a grade older than I) just turned 16 and was taking Driver’s Ed this past week. I still associate driving with adults. It’s weird to think my classmates and friends will be driving- and soon enough I. I don’t feel like an adult, I feel like I’m still a little girl- not anywhere old enough to be almost driving. And yet part of me yearns to- the same part that can’t wait for college. Which weirdly enough is waiting for me after only three more years of high school. It seems like I just started freshman year yesterday.

Some part of my mind still sees fifteen and sixteen year olds as so much older and more grown-up, and somehow I don’t quite live up to what I have imprinted in my mind. But my friends sometimes say that I’m the oldest looking in our little group- something that I really don’t see. Then again I had the idea that all girls suddenly became absolutely gorgeous when they were around sixteen or seventeen stuck in my mind until the past few years when I realized that obviously wasn’t reality. So much for sweet naivety.

Perhaps the strangest realization of mine is that my little sister Caroline is going to be thirteen- a TEENAGER- this coming January. She’s still an eight year old in my mind.

And when you’re fifteen you feel like there’s nothing more to figure out

Well, count to ten, take it in

This is life before you know who you’re gonna be

Fifteen….

1 Response so far »

1. Ariana said,

November 1, 2011 @ 2:22 am     

WOW! I love your post! Happy REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY LATE Birthday! I can’t believe you are already fifteen! I haven’t talked to you in so long! How are you? I hope you are well. I love the song fifteen…well all of Taylor Swifts songs actually! :) Caroline is going to be thirteen in January! Cool! I am going to be 13 in January also WOW! :)

Ok bye! :)

~ARIANA :) <3

Comment RSS · TrackBack URI

Say your words